Monday, July 21, 2014

Please read, and act.




This tears at my heart, as my own ancestors hailed from Mosul, in what is now Iraq.

The Christian community there is ancient -- nearly 2,000 years old, almost as old as Christianity itself. But this cradle of Christianity may soon be eliminated, as the terrorists of ISIS are now driving out or executing the last Christians still living in the region. Very few people in the western media are watching or reporting, but we need to be aware of what is happening to our brothers and sisters in Christ. They are on the cross and it is agony.


From The Anchoress:

If you want news on this impending genocide, thank God for the Near-Eastern press because the Western leadership hasn’t much to say about it, and the press coverage is rather thin. Nothing like the saturation coverage of the World Cup, or the launch of a Beyonce album.

This is the latest piece I could find from Western media: The last Christians in northern Iraq are fleeing from places where their communities have lived for almost 2,000 years, as a deadline passed for them to either convert to Islam, pay a special tax or be killed.

One of Christendom’s oldest and deepest roots is being ripped from an ancient garden, and many in positions of power, even among so-called “Christian” nations, seem content to let it go unremarked upon and unchallenged.

Perhaps they feel inadequate to the task of pleading on these Christians' behalf.

Perhaps they believe that any engagement in their defense would embroil them in a larger conflict they are unwilling to face — as though mad tyranny will simply burn itself out if left uncontested.

Perhaps they think there is nothing to be done but fling hands to heaven, in which case they expose not only a lack of imagination, but a distinct misunderstanding of time and space, which they want to accept as linear.


Read it all, and five things you can do to help, here:





Pray for the Body of Christ. We are one, and we are suffering.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Leila, My first comment disappeared, so I hope two don't pop up. The kids and I are planning on making a candle with an image of Our Lady of Sorrows this afternoon for these poor people... our brothers and sisters in Christ. I want my children to know how fortunate we are to be able to practice our faith. I hope when they see the burning candle, they will be prompted to say a prayer or at least be reminded of how blessed we are. +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do some of those actions and I will.
    I am so angry about what's going on in the world that I have to watch myself and not let anger take hold in my heart, but I have a mental s*** list going. I don't think Jesus wants me to have such a list.
    I am angry because I feel so helpless. I need to be a prayer warrior.
    Martyrs aren't just people in history and legends, martyrs are living and dying RIGHT now for Christ.
    I saw sad pictures on Father Ed Tomlinson's blog of persecuted Christians.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE, when commenting, do not hit "reply" (which is the thread option). Instead, please put your comment at the bottom of the others.

To ensure that you don't miss any comments, click the "subscribe by email" link, above. If you do not subscribe and a post exceeds 200 comments, you must hit "load more" to get to the rest.